Birthday followup
I have left the audience hanging on the birthday present. So sorry.
For starters, I actually used the blog to help lead Jennifer down a confusing path.
Here's the history:
- On Sunday, I mentioned to her that I needed to go shopping for he birthday. I was so focused on Kate's tubes and Justin's party that I hadn't found time for her present. Then I asked for some ideas. She listed a few (which included her eventual present). One of the items she listed was bikes for us to go riding on the Tammany Trace. So, I took that opportunity to "explore" that route. We went to Target, tried a few, made no purchase.
- Fast forward to Tuesday. I picked up the gift at lunch after having ordered it on MARCH 9. But, I wasn't satisfied with just giving her the box. I wanted her to no know what it was until the last possible moment. So, while walking through Walgreens I saw a styrofoam ice chest and remembered a conversation I had with my neighbor last week.....he and his wife were expecting a delivery, by Fed Ex, with a new puppy. So, I got the idea to make her think she was getting a pet.....hence the "change the household dynamic" line.
- When we get to the restaurant on Tuesday, I mention to Jen I have a problem.....I cannnot leave the present in the car too long. To which, my mother says, "Is is alive?" I get the box, covered in a Fed Ex ticket and "live cargo" stickers, and hand it to her delicately. She later told me she thought it was alive, but small, maybe a freret. After digging though the box, she found a jewelry box with a pair of diamond earrings.
On a sidebar, Justin went to school the next day and told his teacher, "Momma thought she was getting a freret but got some earrings that shine." Good stuff.....if you can get it.
For starters, I actually used the blog to help lead Jennifer down a confusing path.
Here's the history:
- On Sunday, I mentioned to her that I needed to go shopping for he birthday. I was so focused on Kate's tubes and Justin's party that I hadn't found time for her present. Then I asked for some ideas. She listed a few (which included her eventual present). One of the items she listed was bikes for us to go riding on the Tammany Trace. So, I took that opportunity to "explore" that route. We went to Target, tried a few, made no purchase.
- Fast forward to Tuesday. I picked up the gift at lunch after having ordered it on MARCH 9. But, I wasn't satisfied with just giving her the box. I wanted her to no know what it was until the last possible moment. So, while walking through Walgreens I saw a styrofoam ice chest and remembered a conversation I had with my neighbor last week.....he and his wife were expecting a delivery, by Fed Ex, with a new puppy. So, I got the idea to make her think she was getting a pet.....hence the "change the household dynamic" line.
- When we get to the restaurant on Tuesday, I mention to Jen I have a problem.....I cannnot leave the present in the car too long. To which, my mother says, "Is is alive?" I get the box, covered in a Fed Ex ticket and "live cargo" stickers, and hand it to her delicately. She later told me she thought it was alive, but small, maybe a freret. After digging though the box, she found a jewelry box with a pair of diamond earrings.
On a sidebar, Justin went to school the next day and told his teacher, "Momma thought she was getting a freret but got some earrings that shine." Good stuff.....if you can get it.

4 Comments:
Being the animal lover that he is, I bet Justin was disappointed that it wasn't a freret.
i could only imagine the reaction to a ferret being in the ice chest... i'm sure jennifer would have been thrilled
Ryan incorrectly influenced me to refer to the animal as a freret. I always thought it was a ferret, but 2nd guessed it when I read his post. So I incorrectly referred to the animal as a freret in my previous comment instead of a ferret.
I spelled it like Freret Street....too much time uptown.
Post a Comment
<< Home